“I was only a leading man for a minute; now I’m a character actor.”
… Robin Williams
Back in 2012 we- as in Aurora, Paula and I- borrowed a catch-phrase from our home of the classics, Turner Classic Movies (TCM) to host a blogathon dedicated to those whose names few remember. The phrase is WHAT A CHARACTER! and the players are actors who rarely got leading parts, exhibiting instead a versatility and depth many leading players wished they had. We never tire of seeing them or paying tribute and as the previous two installments of this event proved, neither do you. So let this fun tradition continue with the third annual WHAT A CHARACTER! Blogathon…
Kellee of Outspoken & Freckled aka (@IrishJayHawk66)
Paula of Paula’s Cinema Club aka (@Paula_Guthat) and
Aurora, of Once Upon a Screen aka (@CitizenScreen)
We are thrilled to be hosting this event again and we hope you’ll join us in shining the spotlight on the great character actors in the movies. You know who they are, the Edward Arnolds and Eugene Palettes and Eve Ardens of the world, the ones whose names rarely appeared above the movie title, but who we relish in seeing time and time again.
If you’re interested in participating, and we certainly hope you are, please adhere to the following:
- Let one of the hosts know which character actor is your choice. Since there are so many greats worthy of mention, we won’t take any repeats and we’re not limiting these to “classic” actors. Great character actors have made their mark since the end of the classic era and deserve some attention as well so the field is wide open.
- Please include your twitter or FB tag, email address and blog name & URL.
- Publish the post for either November 16, 17 & 18. Let us know if you have a date preference, otherwise we’ll split publicizing duties equally among the three days.
- Please include the blogathon graphic on your blog to help us publicize the event. (See the 3 pretty banners included in this post)
- Include the graphic and link to the host sites in your WHAT A CHARACTER! post
- If possible, please send any of the hosts the direct link to your WHAT A CHARACTER! post by the day before your due date. Otherwise we’ll simply link to your site’s home page.
- HAVE FUN and spread the word! There are many great characters worthy of attention.
Ann Doran & Luren Tuttle ~ Theresa guest post on ONCE UPON A SCREEN
Ann Dvorak ~ A PERSON IN THE DARK
Bealuh Bondi ~ A Thousand Words
Burgess Meredith ~ THE LAST DRIVE-IN
C. Aubrey Smith ~ CRITICA RETRO
Cecil Kellaway ~ THE LADY EVE’S REEL LIFE
Christopher Lloyd ~ THE MOVIE RAT
Don Beddoe ~ CHRISTY’S INKWELLS
Dame Edith Evans ~ MARGARET PERRY
Edna May Oliver ~ PORTRAITS BY JENNI
Edward Everett Horton ~OUTSPOKEN & FRECKLED
Esther Dale ~ CAFTAN WOMAN
Frank McHugh ~ THIS GIRL FRIDAY
Grant Mitchell ~IMMORTAL EPHEMERA
Harry Dean Stanton ~ JOEL’S CLASSIC FILM PASSION
Iris Adrian ~ SPEAKEASY
John Ridgley ~ COMET OVER HOLLYWOOD
Leo Carillo ~ PHANTOM EMPIRES
Melville Cooper ~ CLASSIC MOVIE HUB
Rochelle Hudson ~ BUNNYBUN’s CLASSIC MOVIE BLOG
Thelma Ritter ~ CINEPHILED
Thomas Mitchell ~ ONCE UPON A SCREEN
Tony Randall ~ A SHROUD OF THOUGHTS
A big thank you – HAPPY BLOGGING!
10 thoughts on “Announcement: 3rd annual WHAT A CHARACTER! BLOGATHON”
Beulah Bondi, if you please. 🙂
You got it Christy! I’ve got your contact info (email & twitter) and I assume you wish to post on your zchristy.wordpress.com site- if not, just let me know. Next month be sure to alert us when you publish your link so we can promo it. Thanks again, Christy! Can’t wait to read it 🙂
Kellee, I tweeted, but don’t know if you got it. I’m afraid i am not going to be able to take part as I hoped- I am swamped with work and class. So sorry!
no worries, Christy 🙂
Hi there! I’m copying this to all three blogs just in case :-D. I would love to participate in this blogathon. My choice of character actors is Gladys Cooper. I really love her!
I would prefer to post for the blogathon on Saturday, November 14th because I post every Friday to my blog about classic films, so this would fit my timetable a bit better than later in the weekend.
Blog: Mother Time Musings