They are eccentric. They are unusual. And, they are BACK!
No role is too small for the great actors who often appear in the periphery of our beloved classic films. For the second year in a row, we put them front and center. Hosted by Aurora of OnceUponAScreen (@citizenscreen), Paula of Paula’s Cinema Club (@Paula_Guthat) and myself- Kellee (@IrishJayhawk66) of Outspoken & Freckled it’s the WHAT A CHARACTER! Blogathon!
This event was conceived from the phrase used by our beloved home of the classics, Turner Classic Movies (TCM), and it proved to be a smash hit with bloggers and readers alike last year. The enthusiasm and appreciation for the great character actors overwhelmed us so we’re back to lend praise to the many more we love, love to hate, those who make us laugh, or who cause us to simply smile in recognition.
- Can you count how many scenes Barry Fitzgerald stole from the likes of the Duke, John Wayne?
- Would GONE WITH THE WIND be as memorable without the talents of Hattie McDaniel or Thomas Mitchell?
- We’d have no reference to cling to if not for Eve Arden reminding us that “alligators eat their young” in MILDRED PIERCE.
To those, and to the many others whose work we admire, we dedicate WHAT A CHARACTER!
If you’re interested in participating (and we certainly hope you are), please adhere to the following:
- Let one of the hosts know which character actor is your choice. Although we’re inclined to limit these to those considered traditionally “classic character actors (or before 1970’s, just to choose a point of reference) – if you have an actor in mind beyond that time, that’s acceptable, as well.
- Please include your twitter or FB tag, email address and blog name with URL.
- Publish the post for either November 9, 10, or 11. Let us know if you have a date preference, otherwise we’ll split publicizing duties equally among the three days.
Please include the blogathon graphic (our WAC! banner) on your blog to help publicize the event.
- Include the graphic and link to of one of the host sites in your WHAT A CHARACTER! post.
- If possible, please send any of the hosts the direct link to your WHAT A CHARACTER! post by the end of the day before your due date. Otherwise, we’ll simply link to your site’s home page.
- HAVE FUN and spread the word! There are SO many great characters worthy of attention.
HAPPY BLOGGING, cinema friends!!
Check out the growing list of fabulously talented bloggers and their picks for character actors … here!
One thought on “WHAT A CHARACTER! Blogathon 2013”
Just to let you know my blog is up at wordpress on Eric Blore for the What a Character Blogathon.